This month’s Foodie Penpal Package comes from the lovely Ellen, who sent me a selection of local goodies, which I have/am looking forward to trying! Thanks Ellen, great selection!
Mr Stanley’s Dark Chocolate Classic Nougat with Almonds – This stuff is basically crack. The OH and I decimated the 100g bar between us in one sitting… Not a proud moment, but this nougat is utterly addictive! Fair to say I will be ordering some of this online…
British Chorizo I love chorizo, so I was delighted to find a pack of British chorizo in my parcel! Made from 100% British pork, fully compliant with welfare standards – what can I say other than I look forward to using this in my next paella!
Ghurkha curry sauce This is curry sauce with a heart! Made by wives and families of serving Ghurkha soldiers, some of the profit goes towards supporting the troops and their families – which is pretty good 🙂 And, what’s more, it sounds utterly delicious! This will be saved for the next time I have friends over for dinner 🙂
If you fancy joining our wandering band of gastronauts, meander on over to: http://thisisrocksalt.com/foodie-penpals if you’re in the UK/Europe, or http://www.theleangreenbean.com if you’re in the States.
Hello! It’s been a while – sorry! I haven’t been baking much recently between trying to lose a bit of weight and being away/busy.
But anyway, the OH and I have been on a mission to use up some of the bits and bobs in the freezer and make a bit of space. Earlier this year I stewed and froze a load of apples which were on the turn, and a rainy Sunday afternoon seemed as good a time as any to enjoy a relaxing potter-around in the kitchen!
The recipe suggests adding a cinnamon cream-cheese frosting – which sounds great! – but as the cake was just going back in to the freezer, I didn’t frost mine.
Spiced Applesauce Loaf Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar (half white caster, half soft brown)
- 1 egg
- 1.25 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1.5 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.25 teaspoon baking soda
- Raisins and/or walnuts to taste – about 1/2 cup of one or both
- Cream together the butter, sugar, and egg.
- Add the flour, spices, salt, and baking soda.
- Stir until just blended. Mix in applesauce and raisins/walnuts.
- Pour into greased and floured loaf tin.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 to 60 minutes, or until loaf springs back when lightly touched with finger.
- Cool in pan(s) for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool on rack.